Saturday 4 February 2023

Traditions

I love to a celebration and have always placed a lot of emphasis on birthdays. Today would have been my father’s 90th and  whilst he is no longer here to celebrate we did. My family celebrated with a small and simple dinner. He would have been happy with any meal as long as it had meat and gravy and a cake, there must be a cake.



Growing up all our birthdays were celebrated. This simple sponge cake was the tradition in our house. Easily made sponge cake filled with a layer of strawberry jam and cream and then topped with more cream, chopped jelly and a candle. There was always the ritual of singing happy birthday and blowing out the candle.



I made these jelly cakes for his birthday every year and for other occasions. They were his absolute favourite and he was a man with a prodigious appetite for them. This is the second birthday since his death and I still make them, the neighbours are not complaining. 
Here he is blowing out the candle on his 85th and this treasured photo says it all. All the joy and enthusiasm of celebrating another birthday.



A packet cake mix works very well, this year I made them with a gluten free packet mix. You can find the recipe and technique here This is my preferred sponge cake

I make a lot of birthday cakes but try to tailor them to the persons tastes. Layer cakes, chocolate cakes and even this lemon meringue pavlova cake for my friend Frank. Some are elaborate and others simple but no matter what if the opportunity presents we have a cake. It is a tradition in our home.





Cheers dad! Here’s to you and all the birthdays to come. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

//