Friday 31 January 2020

Are You Book Enough 2020 Challenge - January Theme, In Between

I came across the Are You Book Enough Challenge via Instagram. I thought it sounded like it could be fun and with different theme to interpret each month there would be plenty of scope to look at book structures and a goal of at least one book a month. A challenge and a deadline provide all the incentive I need.



Despite a late start I managed to meet the end of the month deadline. After considering a few options I decided that I would make a simple book structure that would be made up of signatures made by eco printing onto a variety of papers that have scraps of fabric or other textiles stitched to them. I discovered this process in an online with India Flint (School of Nomad Arts), the class was called Being There 2019.  Leaves, flowers and small metal objects were slipped in between the pages and then each little booked was bundled, weighted and simmered in a pot of water.



The pages unfolded after the eco dyeing/ botanical contact printing process. So much colour and texture.













The A4 sheets are folded and cut to make a small booklet, often called a Magic Book, or signature. 



The A4 pages folded into signatures and a wrap cover.



The book assembled, with the signatures sewn in.




No comments:

Post a Comment

//