Friday 9 May 2014

Y.M.C.A

Forget all those ideas normally associated with Y.M.C.A and embrace Yesterday's Muck Cooked Again. I forget who told me about YMCA, however, it fits in with my waste not attitude to food. Normally, I would plate up leftovers into a meal and simply reheat in the microwave the next day or if there was lots of a casserole or something freeze it for another time. Sometimes, I have a cup or two of veg and am looking for something to do with them other than 'bubble and sqeak' or puree them into a soup.


This is something that  I do to extend leftover vegetables into a light meal. The vegetables that I used for this were all leftover from a roast dinner - peas, beans, carrots, a couple of brussel sprouts and cauliflower with cheese sauce. The version pictured has spices added and is served with some Brinjal Pickle,Tomato Sauce and  a dollop of natural yoghurt. Add some salad for some additional flavour.  Sometimes I add a little bacon, ham or salami for some extra flavour and use oregano and some tomatoes instead of spices - more an Italian flavour.

Grease an ovenproof dish. Lay sliced bread across the bottom. If you want an extra crispy base toast the bread first.







Roughly chop up all the leftover vegetables and mix together.








Spread vegetable mixture over the bread.








Pour egg mixture over the the vegetables. I used 4 eggs, 1cup of milk and 1 cup of cream and a generous grind of black pepper.

The egg mixture can be flavoured, I added 2 teaspoons of garam masala, an Indian spice miture. Curry powder or other herbs and spices that you like can be used.



Bake at 170 deg C until firm and set and golden brown on top. This will make 4-6 serves depending on portion size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//