Sunday 11 February 2024

Stash Busting

 Whilst not absolutely essential I feel that it would be good to use up some of my stash. Like most knitters I have been known to have an impulse shop, often attracted to a yarn for the colour or maybe perceived bargain qualities. Variegated yarns have always caught my eye, especially hand dyed yarns. Often purchased as a souvenir of a trip, however, it is usually only a small purchase and one or two skeins is not enough for a garment. Enough for a scarf or mittens but I never get around to knitting them.


 In recent times I have been more disciplined and only buy yarn in amounts sufficient for a sweater or cardigan. These two yarns are examples of this. The variegated yarn was purchased last year on a holiday in Western Australia, a totally unexpected find in a bookshop that had a sideline in yarn and the grey mohair from a shop that was closing down. Enough of both to make a cardigan.


So the swatching was done and I didn’t like the lace type pattern and make the decision to just knit the cardigan in stocking stitch.


I tried the garment on at the point of picking up the stitches for the sleeves and was pleased with the fit. I knit one sleeve and tried it on again but didn’t like the dropped shoulder sleeve. I unpicked the sleeve and opted to make the cardigan into a vest.


Very pleased with this and anticipate lots of wear when the weather cools, Australian summers are too hot to get into warm knitwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//