Tuesday 26 September 2023

Material Thinking: The Poetics of Process

This is an edited version of the original post due to broken links and technical issues with the photographs. Where possible I have tried to reload photographs. Some text and  photographs have been removed

Although a couple of weeks ago now I had the pleasure of another Fibre Arts workshop, this time  with Dr Glen Skien. You can read more about him here.  This workshop was on printmaking using traditional printmaking methods, monoprint techniques combined with collage and photographic transfer. 


Simple monoprints using watercolour, I think I must have been inspired by my morning walk around the lake.


We made these two simple book constructions as an easy way to ease into the class. A bound book with a slip cover and a simple concertina.




Then into an exploration of printmaking techniques


Dry point etching 




Photographic transfer


Simple concertina fold with raven prints


Another version of a concertina fold, this to make a spine and cover for a collection of individual prints 



 monoprint watercolour




The plate after the print


Photocopy of the original collage used as inspiration for the watercolour print and also for photographic transfer (below)




Using silhouettes for monoprinting using positive and negative space with collage elements



The monoprints




It is not just about the serious business of the class. Sometimes you have to give in to an indulgence or two, early breakfast after a morning walk. I wouldn’t normally have a donut for breakfast but just made and still warm, I couldn’t resist!


And of course you must enter into the fun and games, luckily I have a collection of fascinations and headpieces for the party night


‘I Want My Dinner’ a baby raven print  postcard that I made and donated to the auction of class work.


And a little random weave basket that I made with some willow that I found on one of my morning walks around the lake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

//