Sunday 26 March 2017

Two Birds

One of hobbies is printmaking. Although my skills could best be described as developing and I sometimes feel that I am not making any progress, I enjoy going to my class and the company of the other participants. They are are very talented group of women and so encouraging. I also belong to a Textile Art Group. The group is participating in an exhibition of local artisans. We are submitting a group entry called Birds of a Feather. Our display is a collection of textile/mixed media postcards and display of bird sculptures. I thought it a good idea to 'kill two birds with one stone' and try to use the work for both groups.


This is one of the pieces

And side by side, before and after the conversion to a postcard.


The etched copperplate


One of  the run of birds. Inspired by the starlings in my garden. Printed on interfacing for easier stitching.


Printed onto grease proof paper that was previously printed on a geli plate.


A close up. For the postcard I cut out the bird and tree from the interfacing print and then stitched it onto a 'baby wipe' that had been used by an artist friend to clean her hands. She saves all the baby wipes for me. They are fabulous as backgrounds and sturdy enough to stitch into. The bird and tree were stitched with DMC embroidery floss and then coloured with Inktense pencils.


This is another, made with the same techniques as the starling.


The copperplate 


The print on interfacing.


On grease proof paper previously printed on a geli plate.


This one is one of the used baby wipes and some feathers collected on my morning walks.


The 'Birds of a Feather'postcards, assembled on a canvas and ready for display.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//