Thursday 21 January 2016

Supernormal

A couple of weeks ago we were invited to go to Supernormal with our friends Frank and Tina. It is really special occasion dining, the menu heavily influenced by Asian cuisine. It was Frank and Tina's wedding anniversary, we have celebrated with them many times and it is the sort of place where you want to get a good cross section of the menu. Along with the dinner was an impulse purchase of the Supernormal cookbook. Of course I did not need another cookbook but I do enjoy trying different ideas and ingredients and reading about the rationale and concepts behind a restaurant or chef's approach. Supernormal is one of the restaurants opened by Andrew McConnell. Fortunately, they are in Melbourne and I have hade the opportunity to try them all. can read about him here


Mostly, I will follow a new recipe exactly, however, sometimes a small changes are made. This is the case with this dish from page 191. Whole Roast Lamb Shoulder, Coriander and Mint Paste, Sichuan Sauce. I substituted a leg of lamb which I partially boned and cooked the bones with the meat.


The recipe also refers to store brought spring onion pancakes, I made some zucchini and spring onion pancakes instead.


I have made it again, this time with lamb shanks which was a suggested alternative in the recipe. I had the butcher cut them in half as I was making a lot and find it easier to fit smaller pieces into the baking dish. I preferred the lamb shanks.


We started with a glass of wine and a  bowl of these Dry Roasted Pumpkin Seeds from page 41. 


The book - there are many more recipes that will be made.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I loved reading about your time at Supernormal and your experience cooking from the book! I was hoping to ask you a question over email, would you mind letting me know where to reach you? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulina,
      My email is kerriemaloney@gmail.com

      Delete

//