Wednesday 3 June 2015

Rock Cakes



I was tidying a bookshelf and found this book given to me by my friend David.

Immediately distracted from the tidying I started to flick through and found this recipe for rock cakes. Not a recipe that was particularly useful for the home cook as it is not in metric measurements

















































I think that they were the first cake I ever made at school - Form 2 Home Economics.  I used to make them often but not for a very long time. Nostalgia won out and I made a batch. It has triggered memories for a few others, mostly 'I haven't had these for years' and 'my mother used to make these'.


Rock Cakes
2 cups SR flour
125 g butter
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup mixed dried fruit 
(sultanas, currants, mixed peel)
½ teaspoon nutmeg /mixed spice

1 egg
1/2 cup milk


Icing sugar to serve


Rub butter into the flour. I use the food processor.

Add sugar, spice and mixed fruit.

Add egg and most of the milk and mix to stiff dough, add more milk if necessary.

Drop spoonfuls onto greased trays.

Bake at 190 deg C until golden brown and firm, approximately 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

//