Sunday 3 May 2015

Spice Biscuits



These biscuits have evolved over the years. My original recipe used treacle but I now use molasses. They are similar to these gingernuts, however, have a more complex spice flavour. Today's version have been dipped in white nonpareils. What started out as a way to use up the leftovers from a wedding cake has become my favourite. I like the contrast of the white nonpareils aginst the dark biscuits.


When I first made them I left them plain. Then I started to put chopped nuts or almond slivers on top and sometimes a slice of glace ginger. Vary the spices to suit your taste, I like ginger and tend to use a bit more, another friend leaves the ginger out and uses a bit more cinnamon and nutmeg - taste the dough and add a bit more of the spice that you like.

Spice Biscuits
185 g butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses or treacle
1 egg
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2 1/3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Optional for Decoration
white nonpareils
slivered/flaked/chopped almonds
thin slices of glace ginger

Hint
Vary the spices to suit your taste.




Can be easily made in a food processor. I use the pulse action to mix in the flour/dry ingredients. 

Method
Beat butter, molasses and egg together
Mix in bicarb soda, spices and flour
Roll into small balls approximately 2 cm in size
If decorating, press the balls into the topping, slightly flattening the ball.
Place each ball on greased baking trays or trays covered with baking parchment.
Bake in 160 deg C oven for 12 -15minutes.

Transfer biscuits to cooling racks and allow biscuits to cool. Store in an airtight jar/container

1 comment:

//