Tuesday 4 November 2014

When Too Much is Never Enough - Double or Triple Choc Brownies

I have a confession, chocolate is not a favourite of mine, however, I am always happy to cater to the dedicated chocolate enthusiast.  Recently I made this slice that had chunks of chocolate in it. It was suggested to me that my brownies would also be good with the chunks of chocolate. This is a version of the brownie recipe, I added some cocoa to the mixture as well as the chocolate chunks. The end result was rich and fudgy.


 and then another friend jumped in with the idea that the brownies with chunks of chocolate and that chocolate topping that I put on slices would be even better.


This is why there are  double choc or triple choc brownies being made.When I checked with her and asked too much? Her reply was never.

This recipe makes a large amount of brownies, halve the recipe for a smaller tray.


The triple choc brownies also make a great dessert, serve with cream, icecream - try orange or coffee flavoured or fresh berries.




Double or Triple Choc Brownies

Ingredients Double Choc Brownies

250 gms butter
400 gms dark chocolate/2 large blocks – I prefer 70%cocoa
4 eggs
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons Dutch Cocoa
200 g block dark chocolate cut into small chunks or dark chocolate buttons
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (not essence)

To Make Triple Choc Brownies

200 g dark chocolate
1/3 cup cream or 80 g butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt chocolate and cream(butter) together and spread of double choc brownies.

Note
I use butter if I want the topping to set firm and cream for a dessert or when the frosting can be softer.



Method
Place chocolate and butter in glass bowl and melt in microwave. Use medium heat. It should take about 3 minutes. Alternative method, use a bowl over hot water. Stir regularly until mixture is smooth.

Add brown sugar to mixture and stir well, then add vanilla, flour, cocoa and eggs. Mix well

Stir in chocolate chunks.

Place mixture into a greased and lined tin.

Bake at 1600 until firm on the edges and slightly soft in the middle. It will take about 40-60 minutes depending on the depth of the tin. See below.

Allow brownies to stand for a few minutes and then lift out and place on cooling rack.

Cut up brownie and place in an airtight container or jar.


I use a large slice tin - mine is rectangular, approximately 21 cm wide, 29 cm long and 3 cm deep. For a half quantity I use a square cake tin 18cm wide,18cm long and 4cm deep.





No comments:

Post a Comment

//