Tuesday 30 September 2014

Geelong Forum

Off on my annual trip to Geelong Forum a fabulous retreat held at Geelong Grammar School. Such a great opportunity for people interested in textiles to take a week long class with a tutor.


Each year, I wander through the grounds, noting the changes and stopping to admire and photograph my favourite places. I have serious clivea envy each year, there is a magnificent border of them around one of the quadrangle gardens.

The class is in the Technology wing, lots of space to work in and nice surrounds. This bronze sculpture is located just near the classroom










and there are pots of these all around the area outside the technology wing.

This year my class is with Dorothy Caldwell. The focus of the class is on mark making. The week begins with a brief "Meet the Tutor" session. Dorothy gave us a taste of things to come with a warm up activity. We had to make a single mark on card using Indian ink and a paintbrush. Fifteen ladies, same ink and a paintbrush and very different results. The serious work was to begin the next day



Here is this my hand print - the first of many marks to be made during the day


and here is another


and some more



Eventually, they will all become part of a book of marks.

Group displays




Class mates needing a spot of refreshment









My friend Maria, who happens to be in the same class has taken lots of photos - you can look at them here.



1 comment:

  1. it sounds like a wonderful workshop, I particularly like your striated stripey sample… and I have serious clivia envy too. Am always looking for them here to grow indoors and bloom in winter but very few nurseries carry them.

    ReplyDelete

//