Monday 30 June 2014

Cocoanut Slice

I was sitting and chatting at my embroidery group on Saturday when another stitcher Pauline, told me that she had a slice recipe that she had from my mother in law. Unfortunately, I do not have any of her recipes and suspect that she threw her 'recipe book' away. Pauline very kindly emailed the recipe to me with this comment;

Kerrie, 
Dot used to make this for us when we visited.  It is really yummy, bet Ray had it in his lunch.
 Pauline


Ray's mother baked pretty much exclusively for him and made something special for any visitors that were intending to visit. Ray says it was never in his lunchbox and only an afterschool snack - perhaps enjoyed after Pauline and her mother had visited.

I am curious about the name of the recipe - Cocoanut, it has cocoa and coconut in it so perhaps it is a a deliberate choice of name. I have changed the measurements into the metric equivalents.

This is Dot's Cocoanut Slice 

Cocoanut Slice
(Dot Drady)
The base and topping can be made in the microwave rather than in a saucepan. I found it cooked in 15 minutes so I suggest baking the base at 170 dec C and checking after 15 minutes.

Base:

125 g butter
1 teaspoon golden syrup or honey
½ cup castor sugar
1 cup SR flour
¾ cup desiccated coconut

Melt butter and syrup over low heat.
Sift flour into a bowl; add sugar, coconut and butter.
Mix well.  Press into 7” x 11” lamington tin.  Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes.  Cool.

Topping:

2/3 cup condensed milk
30 g butter
1 cup icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon cocoa

Heat condensed milk and butter over low heat until butter melts.
Add sifted icing sugar and cocoa, then add remaining ingredients. 
Pour over base and refrigerate.
Cut into fingers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

//