Sunday 31 December 2023

2023 Comes to An End


Where has December gone?  The flurry of Christmas preparations always begins with my mass production of a handmade decoration, most often a Santa. This is the Santa 2023. With so much emphasis on decluttering  I very nearly decided not to make them this year but when a couple of friends sent me photos of  their collections I set to.

This is my friend Helena’s mantle, there are more of my Santas tucked away in other spots in the room.


Decorations went up nice and early, every surface had a Christmas makeover. Nothing like a daily visit from my grandson, Oscar, to spur me on.

We had lots of fun making decorations. There is nothing like the enthusiasm of a young person who would ask ‘What are we making today, Nanna?’


Something new for me this year. I treated myself to this fabulous Advent Calendar from Kate Davies Designs. 

Each day a new skein of yarn. So pleased to say I did not give in to the temptation of opening before they should have been. So excited , there is an online knit along starting in the new year that I may join but more on that another time.

There has been baking, lots of baking. All the usual Christmas treats which are all on this blog and some new ones like these Christmas Spice Cookies and Sugar Cookies




Plus this small celebration cake to celebrate my friends Kaylene and Flavio’s fiftieth wedding anniversary. I have made this cake before, it is a beautiful cake and gluten free, perfect for Kaye. The Kransekage / Celebration cake from the Fika and Hygge cookbook by Bronte Aurell. I was so pleased to make this for them.

I hade enormous fun with ‘the elf ‘ helping him to find a new hiding place each day. Oscar loved the experience of  finding him and was quite taken by the elf getting into the chocolates in the cupboard.


All the leftovers have been consumed and of course I love the fun and joy of the silly season but really glad ‘it comes but once a year’. Now for the New Year’s Eve celebrations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

//