Thursday 1 November 2018

Alphabet Postcards

My friend Lariane and I have embarked upon a postcard swap. The theme for our year long swap is the Alphabet. Initially we decided to select a letter and then a word beginning with the selected letter. However, we have now refined the project to have an art theme. We agreed to make two cards, one to keep and one to swap. The first letter to be selected was F and the matching word Found.

F: Found



Hugs and Kisses from the Street

This is my card. 
Circles and Crosses are frequently used to denote Hugs and Kisses. Assemblage and collage techniques were used in the construction of this found object artwork. The materials used included rusted street sweeper bristles and washers found on the streets along with a discarded Bonsoy cardboard carton which also contained the text. The street map backing came from an old street directory. The found objects were attached with stitch.



Gawler Ranges Landscape

This is Lariane’s and reflects here recent travels and objects that she found on her travels. Earth pigment, Acacia Bark, Eucalyptus leaves, Graphic ink on watercolour paper.



Lipton’s Galaxy

Another card that I made for the theme. Inspired by the works of Elizabeth Gower. Made with the discarded tags from Liptons teabags,

I: Identity / I / Self



I am Woman

My card. Inspired by the early 70’s song I am Woman by Helen Reddy. This song served as an introduction to feminist thoughts in my early teens. 

Stitched drawing of the female nude on fine woollen fabric, eco dyed using locally sourced plant material.



I Am Not Here



The explanation of Lariane’s card.

Y: Yellowed

I made two for this swap.



Shades of Yellow

So many shades and names; made from paint chips/cards from the hardware store, cut up and glued to card.



Yellow on Yellow (after Rothko)

Inspired by the works of Rothko. Acrylic paints in shades of yellow on canvas.



The Grid



The explanation for Lariane’s card.






1 comment:

//