Thursday 13 October 2016

Almond Delights

I like to experiment with recipes and find my knitting group to be a good testing ground. Supper time rolled around and the ladies seemed to be enjoying them so when asked if they were on my blog and what were they called I had to confess to the experimental nature. I have since made and tested the recipe. My friend Emma, who is as keen on almond flavour and marzipan as me, declared them delicious and delightful and named them.


When slightly undercooked and with more rather than less almond essence they have a texture and flavour that is reminiscent of marzipan. The golden syrup adds to the colour and flavour, however it can be left out and the flour reduced by a quarter of a cup. The dough should be soft and just slightly sticky.

I like them them to be slightly soft and chewy so I do not flatten them as much as I would for a thinner crisper biscuit.










Almond Delights


125 g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon almond essence or a little more



1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups almond meal/ground almonds

To decorate
whole almonds, natural or blanched

Method
Put butter, golden syrup and water in a large saucepan and put on low heat to melt. Allow to cool slightly

Add bicarbonate of soda and almond essence, stir thoroughly.

Add egg and mix well

Add sugar, almond meal and flour, Mix well.

Roll mixture into small balls and place onto greased tray or use baking paper. Allow a little room for the biscuits to spread.

Press an almond into each ball, flattening slightly as you do this.

Bake 160 deg C for approx 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you like the biscuits to be chewy rather than hard remove a little sooner.




No comments:

Post a Comment

//