Monday 12 January 2015

Yoghurt, Zucchini and Cucumber Spread

My friend Claire suggested this recipe as another way to use up the crop of zucchinis and cucumbers. This recipe and many other excellent recipes can be found in Yotam Ottolenghi's books, Plenty and Plenty More. It was delicious. I may have to reconsider my decision to not purchase any more cookbooks.


The next time I made it I adapted the recipe slightly by using yoghurt that I had strained through some muslin for a couple of hours to make it thicker. I wanted the spread to be really thick so that a generous blob would be able to cling to the bread without the need for a plate. The technique for straining the yoghurt is explained here. If straining the yoghurt you need to double the amount of yoghurt. I also omitted the Kaffir lime leaves and poured a little lemon olive oil over the spread instead of the butter.


This is the strained yoghurt/mint mixture


this is the grated zucchini and cucumber, salted and left to stand for half an our and then squeezed out to remove as much moisture as possible.









My Version
2 cups/500ml yoghurt, strained overnight or for a few hours
2-3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 lebanese cucumber, grated
1 zucchini, grated

1-2 cloves crushed garlic
generous pinch of salt
lemon infused olive oil to serve


Strain yoghurt. Mint can be added to the yoghurt before straining or stirred in later.

Combine cucumber, zucchini and salt and leave to stand for thirty minutes, strain and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.

Mix yoghurt, garlic, mint (if not added to yoghurt before straining process) and cucumber mixture together. 

Place on serving dish and pour over a little oil/lemon olive oil 

No comments:

Post a Comment

//