Monday 15 September 2014

From Handbag to Armchair

I am never without a handbag project, I have them across a variety of interests - patchwork, embroidery, crochet, knitting, there is always something that I can work on and usually I am working on a variety of projects at any given time. This project is something that has been on the go for a year or so, it has become too big for my handbag and now resides near my armchair. It is a scrappy blue and white quilt, made with the quilt as you go technique and will be a large queen size quilt when it is finally finished.



The first step was to cut out hundreds of these. Four hundred and seventy three full hexagons and 20 half hexagons. This would make a quilt that was twenty one hexagons wide and twentry three hexagons long.
I decided to work my way through my box of blues. Somewhere along the way I lost count and have an extra hundred blue hexagons cut out - perhaps a cot quilt.

Blue for the main hexagons, wadding hexagons and white and cream backing hexagons.







Then a pile went into this little bag, ready for stiching at any opportunity - in the coffee shop, waiting at the dentist or wherever.







The individual hexagons were completed and quilted.









and then joined into pairs





and the pairs could be joined and so on.





Eventally I had long rows of twenty three and it has became to difficult to carry around in my handbag.




1 comment:

  1. So pretty, and what a great technique Kerrie. I've never seen the backs folded up over the fronts like that before on individual hexies… when you join them is it from the back only, what kind of stitch?

    ReplyDelete

//