Thursday 10 July 2014

Quilts

This is a quilt that I started a few years ago. I made it for myself but never really liked it in my bedroom and put it away in a cupboard. I have since given it to my friend Ruth for her 'big O' birthday. Ruth is my fellow mother in law and a Twisted Sister knitting friend. These are the photographs that she took to show me how nice it looked on her bed. I am so glad it has now got a home where it is being used.



It is a very complicated 'fussy cut' pattern. The design is mostly small six pointed stars within a hexagon shape, with some other pieced hexagons mixed amongst the star hexagons. When choosing the fabrics I placed and emphasis on purple, black and white prints and motifs or patterns such as border patterns that would enable me to create a pattern within the hexagon. It is hand pieced due to the fiddly nature of the piecing but machine quilted.


These two closeups might help you to see how the fussy cutting creates patterns within the hexagons


With the very cold weather she has put another quilt that I made for her for a previous birthday on the bed.
I think it usually hangs over the rail at the foot of the bed.  It is also worked in purples, handpieced and machine quilted.


.



No comments:

Post a Comment

//