A little over a week ago I spent a week in a class with Ro Bruhn, the class was one of the many on offer as part of Fibre Forum, Geelong. This event has occurred annually since 2000 and is held at Geelong Grammar School.
The class was based around the construction of a fabric journal that also had elements of mixed media, paper and incorporated repurposed textiles, ephemera. You can see more of Ro’s work here
I did not make a textile journal instead I created a series of framed pieces or pages, loosely around the concept of flowers.
Each page is a background of many different fabric pieces secured with a large amount of free machine scribble. The flowers are a collage of shapes that are also cut from pieces of fabric and attached with free machine embroidery.
I started out with good intentions and the personal challenge to work in a lighter or more pastel colour palette. My first page took elements of the project in that it incorporated repurposed fabric, stitch and ephemera. The plan was for it to become a page in the journal or possibly the cover. Unfortunately, it didn't make the cut for a variety of reasons.
The next page was started with the intention to keep with pastel palette and was a larger piece intended to form the centre spread of the journal.
I really lost my way with this piece and despite trying to save it with lots of stitching and lots of other little flowers it was eventually cut up and made into this.
A vase of flowers, featuring cut out flower shapes, some coloured with acrylic paint marker pens, repurposed fabric covered buttons, wire and florist tape. These look really cute on my work table.
A card I whipped up for Ro. Very thankful to have been in a class with such a talented and generous tutor. It is great to be able to participate in an intensive workshop and have the opportunity to spend time with ‘the Fibre tribe’
My annual photo of the Clivea. Over the years I have watched these grow from very small plants into large well established garden beds.










No comments:
Post a Comment